Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

My Addiction to Oreos


No, I can’t go to the store for you! I know you need to made dinner. But don’t you know I am addicted? I’ve only told you a few hundred times. Remember what happened last time? You told me to be strong? Ya, that worked well. There I was at the stupid store. I even tried a new tactic remember?  I tried keeping my head down. Staring at my reflection in freshly cleaned tile while I pushed the cart down the aisle. That was my first mistake. I should have grabbed the basket. I tried staying focused on the task at hand. Milk, eggs, and bread, Milk eggs, and bread. I even whistled a happy tune. I did everything and anything to distract me. I even started talking to myself. I’m going to stay strong this time. I’m going to beat this thing. Then I had a grand vision. There I was walking out of the store. Surrounded by camera crews wanting to interview me. Pushing microphones into my face wanting to know how anyone could possible defeat that monster. I kept walking closer and closer. Then I saw the aisle where I knew my Mt Everest was waiting. Oh how I love that aisle. I determined to walk bravely passed the pernicious poison. I must not stop. I said out loud as the person next to me gave me a stare I will never forget. Keep walking, I told myself. And I did. I made it almost three steps past those blue, and pick and yellow colors. I then halted. The little angel on my shoulder started screaming at me to turn and run. The guy on the other shoulder kept poking me with his pitch fork and telling me to get the mint ones and I can always quit next time. “Yeah,” I said to myself. Next time. My wife won’t send me to the store for another whole week. And I only bought enough for a day or so. I thought five family packs would be enough. I ended up walking away with my shopping cart full of creamy goodness. My willpower lied in shattered pieces on the tile flooring. Right then and there I ripped open a package and brought one to my lips. Sweet relief. I sat down next to the cereal aisle and began to devour an entire package of double stuffed Oreos.  See, why I can’t go to the store. I’m addicted. I am never going to the store again.








I thought I would share of few things I have been writing lately. I haven't posted anything for a bit and this should make up for it.

Title: My Addiction
Author: Clint Carver


No comments:

Post a Comment