Pages

Monday, September 22, 2014

Ever wondered how Superman learned to fly?

Title: Learning to Fly
Author: Clint Carver

I grew up a huge Superman fan and still to this day I love anything that has to do with the man of steel. This was written for a school assignment as a One Act Play. I think its important to share your work with an audience, its the only way to know if people like your style and learn of the things you need to work on. Enjoy!

Learning to Fly
Clark Kent is sitting in the loft in the family barn. Clark is finally realizing he has the ability to change the world and help the human race. But he doesn’t know how he is suppose to save everyone. Lois being the mild mannered high school reporter and friend is there to help Clark learn how to fly.

Lois: Your mom called, she said you might be up here.

Clark: Hey Lois. Coming up here helps clear my head. (pause) I opened the letter.

Lois: You did?  What did it say?

Clark: I thought I had things figured out, now I am so confused.

Lois: You wanna talk about it?

Clark: My parents always said I was “special”. I hated hearing that when I was younger. Now (pause) maybe (pause) I don’t know what to think.

Lois: (silent)

Clark: Hey, listen to this (reading from the letter) “You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.”

Lois: Whoa, talk about pressure.

Clark: I knew I was the fastest when I could out run trains. I knew I was the strongest when I stopped the car from hitting the little girl. (pause) Now, I feel so lost.

Lois: I don’t know what to say.

Clark Kent: (smirking/ light laugh) Remember the time I jumped over that house to save the cat?

Lois: (laughing) The cops were so ticked.

Lois: Remember when we got a flat tire on our way to school? You totally pick up my car so Jimmy could change the tire.

Clark: (laughing) Remember when that kid fell off the balcony? I jumped up and grab him?

Lois: (thinking) That’s it Clark Kent. When you jumped over that house you were gliding pretty good through the air and when you “jumped” up and saved that kid, you jumped like 10 stories.. more like flew 10 stories.

Clark: That’s pretty crazy Lois.

Lois: Maybe you can fly!

Clark: And maybe I will fly faster than a speeding bullet?

Lois: I am serious.

Clark: Me too, forget it.

Lois: Hey remember when Indiana Jones is faced with the “Path of God” in the Temple of Doom and only a leap of faith will reveal the path.

Clark: This is silly.

Lois: No its not...take the leap of faith.

Clark: You Lois, want me to just jump off the top of this barn and hope I fly?

Lois: What’s the worst that could happen? We both know you won’t die. Maybe a few bruises

Clark: You’re probably right. But still (pause)

Lois: I don’t want to push you into if you dont want to. Let’s just go grab a soda and not worry about it.

Clark: Hold on there!

Lois: What?

Clark: If I want to fly I’ll do it!

Lois: Ok, prove it!

Clark: Just give me a minute.

Lois: You want me to hold your hand?

Clark: Come on, it’s not that easy.

Lois: Its not just about the flying is it?

Clark: What if I can’t do it?

Lois: Then keep on trying.

Clark: No, what if I can’t save the world?

Lois: You’re not alone Clark.

Clark: I am very alone.

Lois: What do you mean? You have great parents and hello … you have an amazing friend.

Clark: (Clark emotionally snaps) I am not even from here! (pause) I’m not even human! What has this world done for me? I don’t even know my real parents! I hate being “special”! I don’t know if I even want to save this place! Why! For what reason!

Lois: (pause) Maybe I should leave.

Clark: No (pause) don’t go

Lois: Sorry for getting too involved.

Clark: It’s not that you are great, just to get a few things out. This is going to take some time.

Lois: There’s nothing wrong with that.

Clark: You make it sound so easy.

Lois: Maybe you don’t need to save the world, today, right now. Just keep on helping, that little boy who fell needed help, you didn’t have to save the world that day.

Clark: (thinking to himself) Sorry for flipping out.

Lois: Just climb up on top of the barn and see what happens.

Clark: Ya? (pause, looking up) I don’t know.
Lois: Come on, let’s just sit up there (begins to climb the ladder)

Clark: Why do I keep listening to you?

Lois: (as they climb up the ladder) If this works, we are totally going to play some sweet pranks.

Clark: (laughing) very funny

Lois: (sitting on top of the barn) well, you ready to do this?

Clark: No, not really.

Lois: Now what’s bothering you?

Clark: If I jump and somehow fly it will mean I have to take the next step. I’m not ready for that.

Lois: Remember, just try flying.

Clark: (stands up, looks over the edge) This is nuts

Lois: Ready?

Clark: Hold on. I need a few.

Lois: (Silent)

Clark: You better not tell my Dad about this!

Lois: Pinky swear!

Clark: Ok, lets do it.

Lois: 1...2….3….





No comments:

Post a Comment