Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Best of Nerves



As I parked my red civic in front of her office I felt like throwing up. It was sunny outside, slightly warm but my palms were moist. I waited for a few minutes listening to sports radio, I didn’t want to be too early or too late. Listening to guys talk about how the Jazz might win a basketball game wasn’t keeping my attention.
My mind drifted back to the day I first met her. A good friend of mine was having a little get-together at his place. I think it was on a Monday evening. I showed up alone, I didn’t want to break my routine. As I parked my car next to the others in the large damp grass field and walked up the steps, I wondered what the night would bring. Would I know anyone or recognize any faces? Would all the other “cool” guys talk to the new girls first?
As I went to knock on the freshly painted door it opened as a dark face was taking a phone call I walked in behind him. Removing my old Dr. Martins and peering down at a sock that had a rather large hole in it, I discreetly pull my sock over so the hole wasn’t as noticeable.
I took a look around the room, waved my dry hands at a few old buddies and continued scanning the room. Past the bowl of guacamole and salsa and through the bodies holding guitars playing rock band I saw a face I had never seen before. I quickly became interested in sitting next to her on the white pillowed couch.
Just as I became more confident my good buddy Nick sat down right beside her, put her arm around her and all of my hopes vanished.

No comments:

Post a Comment